CanesInSight - CB Delaney discusses transfer to Miami
  • CB Delaney discusses transfer to Miami

    Note on the football board...(if you're new please read)-deedelaneycitadel-jpg


    As Miami wraps up spring football practice this week, the roster is set to have some new names on it in the coming months. Canes fans are eagerly awaiting some of the top names from the 2017 class to arrive on campus such as N’Kosi Perry, Trajan Bandy, and Mike Harley.

    The newcomer that could end up having one of the biggest impacts in 2017 though, is grad transfer cornerback Dee Delaney from the Citadel. Delaney announced on February 28th that he would be using his final season of eligibility at the University of Miami.

    Delaney tallied 11 interceptions over the past two seasons as an FCS All-American. The move to Miami could help catapult his draft stock – sources told CanesInSight that he received a mid-round grade from the NFL advisory board this, but he has his sights set higher.

    “I just kinda wanted to challenge myself. Being at that next level, I’ll be able to go against top recruits and top recruits on a daily basis, and test myself overall,” Delaney said.

    The move however, does come with some risk. Delaney’s decision shows self-confidence.

    “I was hearing it from both sides. Some of them we’re saying ‘if you go there and ball, it could really help your draft stock – but if you go there and don’t do too good, then you could hurt it,” he said.

    Delaney was far from a heralded recruit coming out of Whale Branch High School in South Carolina. He played wide receiver in HS and said he did not receive much recruiting interest at all. Once he got to The Citadel, he switched over to the defensive side of the ball where he has flourished.

    “I feel like at cornerback, I noted that a lot of corners weren’t good with their hands – they couldn’t catch. I saw the game was changing with tall cornerbacks, so I gave it a try.”

    Delaney’s visit to Miami was the first time he had made his way to south Florida, even though he said that he has family in Fort Lauderdale.

    “It was great,” he said. “I went in there with a business mindset. Most people go to Miami think it’s a party city, but I didn’t go in there with that mindset.”

    Delaney has formed a quick relationship with his future secondary coaches. As he explained, it was not so much about a certain recruiting pitch they used, but more about the trust he already seems to have in them.

    “Coach Rumph, I feel like, was real honest to me. He didn't lie or or tell any false information or anything like that,” Delaney said. “As far as Coach Banda, he’s just that guy.”

    “I watched a little bit of film and got a chance to see where I’ll be used at,” he said. “As far as I see, I’ll be a great corner – just to shut one side down or at least try to shut one side down. They can worry about things other than that side of the field.

    The Canes are bringing in a grad transfer defensive back for the second straight season after having success with Adrian Colbert last year. Colbert’s presence was also a key in the recruitment of Delaney to UM.

    “It felt real good. He didn’t lie to me about anything. I told him to be honest with me all the way through, and that’s what he was – the family at Miami, the coaches and just how they act around you throughout the whole process. I feel like he was a big part of my decision as far as going to Miami,” he said.

    The Citadel played Florida State during Delaney’s freshman year and he feels ready for the challenge once again as a Hurricane.

    “As a freshman, it felt normal to me. I didn't buy in to the hype. Most people say they go in there and hear the crowd, but I didn’t hear the crowd so I didn’t bother me at all. I just felt like I fit right in – as a freshman.”

    Delaney said that the plan right now is to arrive at Miami on May 18th, shortly after his graduation at The Citadel.


    This interview was originally conducted on the CanesInSight podcast presented by CanesWear. You can listen to it below.

    This article was originally published in forum thread: CB Delaney discusses transfer to Miami started by Peter Ariz View original post
    Comments 27 Comments
    1. rokulika's Avatar
      rokulika -
      Welcome
    1. brock's Avatar
      brock -
      Sounds like a humble kid. Excited at having an immediate starter joining the db group with NFL scouts already having a grade on him. As well as recruits like bandy, dean and Derrick smith coming in may
    1. rokulika's Avatar
      rokulika -
      11 interceptions means he can actually catch. Imagine that.
    1. DTP's Avatar
      DTP -
      Coming from a military school, you know he's going to be all business. He didn't come to Miami to mess around. He's here to go league.
    1. Number1CanesFan's Avatar
      Number1CanesFan -
      I think this is a perfect situation for all of our DB's. The fact that Delany and Dean are not in the Spring practices has allowed the other DB's on the roster to get the snaps and improve their skill set. So, there will be stiff competition in the Fall camp. What was perceived as a thin DB core will be 3 deep with skilled talent by the end of Fall camp. :-)
    1. scrantoncane's Avatar
      scrantoncane -
      “It was great,” he said. “I went in there with a business mindset. Most people go to Miami think it’s a party city, but I didn’t go in there with that mindset.”

      “As far as I see, I’ll be a great corner – just to shut one side down or at least try to shut one side down. They can worry about things other than that side of the field.

      Have to admit, I've been a little nervous about Dee (the competition and opposing QBs simply not throwing his way), but these kind of quotes makes me go from six to midnight.
    1. scrantoncane's Avatar
      scrantoncane -
      To expand on ^^^ that thought a little...

      In a different scenario - specifically, at a higher level of play/competition - not throwing at his side would be a very good thing. Think Deion or D. Revis.

      But in this situation, I wonder who was playing opposite Dee, and what was the general level of talent of his defensive unit? If you can pick on the other CB all day long, then no need to throw at a guy who can play.

      I am optimistic, but cautiously so.
    1. Cane Dynasty's Avatar
      Cane Dynasty -
    1. Jassid82's Avatar
      Jassid82 -
      scrantoncane said: View Post
      “It was great,” he said. “I went in there with a business mindset. Most people go to Miami think it’s a party city, but I didn’t go in there with that mindset.”

      “As far as I see, I’ll be a great corner – just to shut one side down or at least try to shut one side down. They can worry about things other than that side of the field.

      Have to admit, I've been a little nervous about Dee (the competition and opposing QBs simply not throwing his way), but these kind of quotes makes me go from six to midnight.
      Heard the podcast as well and that was my favorite quote. I also liked the fact that he has gone against FSU before and the stage wont be too big for him. Esp seeing that its a rivalry game and the 3rd game of the year. There really isnt much to dislike about this kid. Seems like he can be a star.
    1. gcane44's Avatar
      gcane44 -
      scrantoncane said: View Post
      To expand on ^^^ that thought a little...

      In a different scenario - specifically, at a higher level of play/competition - not throwing at his side would be a very good thing. Think Deion or D. Revis.

      But in this situation, I wonder who was playing opposite Dee, and what was the general level of talent of his defensive unit? If you can pick on the other CB all day long, then no need to throw at a guy who can play.

      I am optimistic, but cautiously so.
      It appears Citadel has been conference champs the past 2 years. So, it seems to be more of a case of Delaney being the best player on a successful D.
    1. Chrisarg72's Avatar
      Chrisarg72 -
      gcane44 said: View Post
      scrantoncane said: View Post
      To expand on ^^^ that thought a little...

      In a different scenario - specifically, at a higher level of play/competition - not throwing at his side would be a very good thing. Think Deion or D. Revis.

      But in this situation, I wonder who was playing opposite Dee, and what was the general level of talent of his defensive unit? If you can pick on the other CB all day long, then no need to throw at a guy who can play.

      I am optimistic, but cautiously so.
      It appears Citadel has been conference champs the past 2 years. So, it seems to be more of a case of Delaney being the best player on a successful D.
      Also mid round draft grade shows that NFL scouts, who know how to adjust for competition etc, think he can lock down well. For perspective that's about the same rating that Corn Elder got from his senior year, meaning they would consider them to be equally talented prospects.
    1. canesthing3's Avatar
      canesthing3 -
      Biggest pickup this offseason.
    1. LuCane's Avatar
      LuCane -
      canesthing3 said: View Post
      Biggest pickup this offseason.
      Easily. It changed the entire dynamic of the defense and beyond the Corners. Redwine was able to slide to Safety without warranted concern about a razor thin CB unit. The front 7 will be one of the best in the Country. We're a couple Safeties away from being deep and talented. Redwine stepping up would handle one of those spots. Amari Carter may handle the other one. Big, bigtime stuff.
    1. umhurricane2511's Avatar
      umhurricane2511 -
      LuCane said: View Post
      canesthing3 said: View Post
      Biggest pickup this offseason.
      Easily. It changed the entire dynamic of the defense and beyond the Corners. Redwine was able to slide to Safety without warranted concern about a razor thin CB unit. The front 7 will be one of the best in the Country. We're a couple Safeties away from being deep and talented. Redwine stepping up would handle one of those spots. Amari Carter may handle the other one. Big, bigtime stuff.


    1. Jassid82's Avatar
      Jassid82 -
      Bringing him in also gives JDean (talk about the forgotten man!) one year to get adjusted to big time college ball. Would love him to come right in a dominate from day 1 but that rarely happens with JUCOs. Lets ease him into things and then unleash him to replace Delaney in 2018 and then have Jobe replace Dean in 2019 and so on and so forth..
    1. ncncanes's Avatar
      ncncanes -
      I am really excited about him coming to UM however when was the last time a transfer made a real difference - Brock B?
    1. CANEMC's Avatar
      CANEMC -
      Delaney and Dean. We back.
    1. Peter Ariz's Avatar
      Peter Ariz -
      ncncanes said: View Post
      I am really excited about him coming to UM however when was the last time a transfer made a real difference - Brock B?
      Last season
    1. The Franchise's Avatar
      The Franchise -
      Coach Colbertson strikes again. We can thank him for Dean and Delaney.

      Attachment 44429
    1. UMFarArcher's Avatar
      UMFarArcher -
      Cane Dynasty said: View Post
      I laugh every time I see this.

      Who says white boys can't dance?