Good old days....

hcanes100

24k+ of useless posts
Premium
6595416881_de43fd6faa_o.jpg

Advertisement
Last edited:
DateOpponent[SUP]#[/SUP]Rank[SUP]#[/SUP]SiteTVResultAttendance
September 5#17 FloridaMiami Orange BowlMiami, FL (War Canoe Trophy)W 21-20 73,817
September 19Houston#16Miami Orange Bowl • Miami, FLW 12-7 32,586
September 26at #4 Texas#14Texas Memorial StadiumAustin, TXL 14-7 74,653
October 3Vanderbilt#17Miami Orange Bowl • Miami, FLW 48-16 27,694
October 17at #16 Mississippi State#13Scott FieldStarkville, MSL 14-10 33,225
October 24at East CarolinaFicklen Memorial StadiumGreenville, NCW 31-6 20,323
October 31#1 Penn State
Dagger-14-plain.png
Miami Orange Bowl • Miami, FLABCW 17-14 32,117
November 7at #14 Florida State#13Doak Campbell StadiumTallahassee, FL (Florida State–Miami rivalry)ABCW 27-19 52,685
November 14Virginia Tech#12Miami Orange Bowl • Miami, FLW 21-14 22,257
November 21at NC State#11Carter-Finley StadiumRaleigh, NCW 14-6 36,500
November 27Notre Dame#9Miami Orange Bowl • Miami, FLABCW 37-15 50,681
*Non-conference game. [SUP]
Dagger-14-plain.png
[/SUP]Homecoming. [SUP]#[/SUP]Rankings from Coaches' Poll released prior to game.

Tuesday’s NCAA ruling marks the fourth time the University of Miami football program has been placed on probation
1955: On probation for one year and banned from a bowl game for a year for providing improper travel benefits to prospective recruits and conducting illicit tryouts for prospective recruits.
1981: On probation for two years and banned from playing in a bowl for one year for providing improper benefits to players and prospective recruits, including a booster paying a player for his performance and making a down payment on a car for him.
1995: On probation for three years, banned from playing in a bowl for one season, stripped of 31 scholarships over three years and publicly reprimanded and censured for proving improper financial aid to players, for players receiving cash awards for game performance and for players being allowed to compete without being subjected to the required disciplinary measures in the drug-testing program. The NCAA charged the school with “lack of institutional control.”

Advertisement
I was 8 and just starting following football then. I believe that was the last year of Burger King giving out free game tickets when you bought a whopper meal. I got a couple of games as a kid through that and was excited as **** when I got to goto the OB.

look at those attendance marks for the games.... 32k for the #1 team in the country.

Best 'Canes logo of all time...the []__[] with that WR in the middle. It's great.

Best 'Canes logo of all time...the []__[] with that WR in the middle. It's great.

I had the pennant I got from the OB in my room till it was ruined in Hurricane Andrew. It started to fade to that yellow from white after about 11 years.

Advertisement
look at those attendance marks for the games.... 32k for the #1 team in the country.

I was a sophomore in HS and remember this game. There was a tropical storm hovering over the city the day of this game. The weather was expected to be very bad that day. My favorite quote from this game came from Joe Pa, who said, "I've never seen weather like that game. Every time we got the ball the rain would come down hard and the wind would blow 50 MPH. Every time Miami got the ball the wind and rain seemed to die down." lol Although that really did happen.

Penn State couldn't stop Larry Brodsky that day. It was Jim Kelly to Larry Brodsky, all day long.

I was a sophomore in HS and remember this game. There was a tropical storm hovering over the city the day of this game. The weather was expected to be very bad that day. My favorite quote from this game came from Joe Pa, who said, "I've never seen weather like that game. Every time we got the ball the rain would come down hard and the wind would blow 50 MPH. Every time Miami got the ball the wind and rain seemed to die down." lol Although that really did happen.

Penn State couldn't stop Larry Brodsky that day. It was Jim Kelly to Larry Brodsky, all day long.

To be honest, don't remember that one. Was 8, so bit and parts of the season were a wash, don't remember them, but I do remember that was the season I became a big football fan and Hurricane fan. Remember going to the OB the first time that year. We went to the Houston game, as my step father took me to it because my real father lived in Houston and thought it would be a cool connection. I was hooked.

Tuesday’s NCAA ruling marks the fourth time the University of Miami football program has been placed on probation
1955: On probation for one year and banned from a bowl game for a year for providing improper travel benefits to prospective recruits and conducting illicit tryouts for prospective recruits.
1981: On probation for two years and banned from playing in a bowl for one year for providing improper benefits to players and prospective recruits, including a booster paying a player for his performance and making a down payment on a car for him.
1995: On probation for three years, banned from playing in a bowl for one season, stripped of 31 scholarships over three years and publicly reprimanded and censured for proving improper financial aid to players, for players receiving cash awards for game performance and for players being allowed to compete without being subjected to the required disciplinary measures in the drug-testing program. The NCAA charged the school with “lack of institutional control.”

That's misleading. UM went on probation in Oct 1954. The probation was extended through the 56 season, causing UM to miss out on two major bowl invitations. The 54 and 56 teams were some of UM's very best . Even the 55 team finished 18 in the AP poll.

The '81 Miami team was very solid.

And both losses in '81 were controversial. Miami had a TD nullified in both games by controversial penalties that Miami coaches attributed to home cooking.

Advertisement
The '81 Miami team was very solid.

And both losses in '81 were controversial. Miami had a TD nullified in both games by controversial penalties that Miami coaches attributed to home cooking.

Correct. The Mississippi State game was just horrible. Their Dline was offsides almost every play. I remember one play where dude had to stop and wait for snap before he tackled qb. Refs called nothing. SEC homecooking at its finest. If I am not mistaken, Howard said he would not schedule them again -- might have been after the next game. In the Texas game I seem to remember the TV announcer even making a comment about the call, something like "bush league, that was bush league!"

Advertisement
Back