College Tennis Meets Game of Thrones (Miami Style)

Kirijax

Senior
Thought I'd have a bit of fun with the Game of Thrones houses. I put a college team which a house that I think matches the traits or history of the house. This is strictly from a Miami point of view! Just for my fellow GOT-tennis fans. Of which I am sure there are many.

imageedit_5_9176262773.jpg

House Stark (Georgia)
The lone great house in the north (southeast).
Has moments of glory (6 titles) but fading from the top.
Has fallen from power (last win was 2008) but not as badly as House Targaryen (Stanford).
Needs to reassert itself.
One of the five great houses.

House Lannister (USC)
True ruler of the land (NCAA Champ 5 of 6 seasons).
Ruthless leader (Peter Smith).
Great History (21 titles).
Great resources (Deep team every year).

House Arryn (Pepperdine)
One of the mysterious houses (how does Pepperdine do it).
Solid strength and difficult to defeat (always in the Sweet 16).
Rich history (NCAA title, runner-ups, ITA Indoor titles).
Seemingly keeps to itself (tucked away in a minor conference) and plays its own game (no conference rivals).

House Baratheon (Virginia)
The newest of the five great houses (Since 2000s).
Short reign is in danger (upended by California teams).
Resources are decreasing (lineup doesn’t seem as strong this year).

House Targaryen (Stanford)
Former king of the land (Until 2000).
Fallen from power (Not much since 2001).
Trying to reclaim its throne (good recruiting class).

House Tyrell (UCLA)
One of the richest houses (endless resources poured into athletics).
Great history (16 NCAA titles).
Looks to rule the land by any means possible (has a hand in every sport, titles every year.

House Martell (Florida)
No great victories or accomplishments as of yet (Only two final fours).
Has access to untapped resources (Strong athletics and number one destination for Florida recruits).
Has potential to be a force to reckon with (Should be, could be very good in two or three years).

House Greyjoy (Tennessee)
Great power in the mid-west but has never been able to win the throne (three NCAA runner-ups, no title).
Family members known to be rowdy (sportsmanship has been suspect in the past).
Power is weakening and could be falling (Not always in Sweet 16 lately).
Still has potential to be a power in the east.

House Tully (Illinois)
Solid strength but not enough to challenge top houses (Solid recruiting but not the best).
Slowly regaining its former power (Should challenge Ohio State again).
Still in shadow of other houses at the moment (Needs to beat USC, UCLA again).

House Yronwood (Miami)
One of the great houses of the south (State of Miami).
Ancient rival of the Martells (Florida).
Great history (2 Ncaa runner-ups, 137-match win streak) and house that protects the south (Orange Bowl and other tournaments).
Potential to emerge as a major house in the south (In a location to challenge Florida).

House Frey (Baylor)
Great resources and strength (Rich, private school).
Has a reputation of breaking tradition and manners (sportsmanship is questioned at times).
Difficult place to play (Waco).

House Bolton (Florida State)
The blacksheep or villain of all the houses of the land (Sports athletes cause numerous problems yet no sanctions).
Has a reputation for doing whatever means necessary to win (Ignoring discipline, half-game suspensions for other athletes).
Becoming stronger and looking to be a major house but not there yet (Consistently makes NCAA tournament).

*Being a Canes fan, I had to fit Miami in somwhere. At first I considered making the Miami-Martell connection. Both are from the south. Martell apparently has power that might be coming up in the story, and they hate the Lannisters. It kind of fit but at the end even I thought it was a bit brazen to make Miami one of the major houses given their recent struggles on the court. So I looked around at the other houses of Dorne, such as Dayne and Fowler, but one house fit better than any other; Yronwood. Yronwood used to be the greatest house in Dorne until Martell teamed up with people coming over from Essos to take power. Even now, Yronwood has a much larger domain than Martell. their leader has the title Bloodroyal, and their castle guards those who wish to enter north of Dorne. Miami used to be THE tennis program up through the 70s or more, as seen by their two runner up finishes and famous 137-match team winning streak. They also used to be the program of south Florida until Central Florida and South Florida came along. And they despise the Martells which makes it a better fit for Florida to be Martell and Miami to be Yronwood. So Yronwood it is!

*This could be debated until the cows come home and of course every version would be different depending on which team you root for.

GOT meets College Tennis

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back