Berrios: Redzone

HurricaneU

American Patriot
Not hating on Berrios but on his drop in the endzone, I found myself wondering why we throw a back shoulder fade to the shortest receiver on the roster?

In my opinion, a taller receiver likely catches that easy.

Fortunately, it didn't impact the outcome of the game. Still left me wondering about the personnel package and play call.

Advertisement
Bonehead play call. Remember we used to throw fade passes to short WRs? Good times/

He was being held and he almost made a one handed grab while falling down. I aint mad at him

Advertisement
I think we have run fades to him a couple times this year. Agree that it doesn't makes sense. If you want to run a fade, put in D'Mauri Jones. Of course then everybody knows you're going that route then...

It was interference IMO, guy was holding his arm.

That's only PI when we play Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl. Frankly, while there was some contact, IMHO there wasn't enough to make a call. I see where you're coming from though.

He's got some of the best ball skills on the team. He can make different types of catches, although I'd still like to see that play to Herb Waters.

Advertisement
Not hating on Berrios but on his drop in the endzone, I found myself wondering why we throw a back shoulder fade to the shortest receiver on the roster?

Fortunately, it didn't impact the outcome of the game. Still left me wondering about the personnel package and play call.

That wasn't a back shoulder fade though. Did u see the route. Berrios ran a stop with a spin to the corner. It was a fade but not back shoulder like u would throw to say Brandon Marshall. That is why didn't need a tall wr. Plus te db grabbed his wrist so he was only able to get one hand out for the pass

it was either a out and up or a curl and go. the play call made since since the whole purpose was to lure the Lb in and then go by him.

Instead of viewing that as a jump ball, look at the route in it's entirety. The hesitation and pivot is something a quicker guy is going to be better at and get more separation with. Sure, it ended up a jump ball situation, but that wasn't the design for that route.

Advertisement
Yeah, it probably wasn't a fade, just looked that way. I still think I'd like to see him work the middle when inside the 20. And put the bigger bodies outside.

Watch the replay. DB was holding his other hand back so didn't have enough time to stretch out.

That doesn't happen, he makes the play.

That wasn't a back shoulder fade though. Did u see the route. Berrios ran a stop with a spin to the corner. It was a fade but not back shoulder like u would throw to say Brandon Marshall. That is why didn't need a tall wr. Plus te db grabbed his wrist so he was only able to get one hand out for the pass

Love the combo route and it wasn't a fade. I believe Berrios needed to square it more coming out of his break. The kid is really good.

Advertisement
I had a similar initial reaction, but it's hard to say. Maybe he kills it on those routes in practice. I certainly don't know one way or the other. But as others have said, I do know he can separate and has good hands and ball skills.

Did Herb get much burn last night? If not , i don't get why he's heavily involved sometimes and barely at all other nights. Kid is a baller

Bonehead play call. Remember we used to throw fade passes to short WRs? Good times/

that dude probably makes that catch in practice all the time bonehead, hence the call. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. that's football.

Advertisement
Back