Thoughts on banner and recruiting (long, but from the heart)

theu4lyfe

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
I think the “banner hurting recruiting” is quite possible the most asinine notion that is currently being spewed.

The reason guys like Amari Cooper, and [insert any recruit] went elsewhere was because they see the product on the field--and are surrounded by people that helped them make the RIGHT decision. If you are the parent of a highly touted high school player, do you honestly think it is in your child's best interests to sway your child to go to UM in its current state? If so, then I think you are doing your child a disservice.

What IS hurting recruiting are the lack of results, lack of player development, the product on the field, utter incompetence from the coaching staff, and atrocious schemes that put our players in a position to fail--rather than flourish.

Is an isolated banner going to influence members serving on the BOT to immediately terminate Al Golden? Obviously not. And I would hope not. I would like to believe that the individuals making critical decisions regarding the future of the program do not base their vote/decision on a banner. Instead, I would hope they fulfill their fiduciary duties as trustees serving on the Board of Trustees and, therefore, base their decision on a variety of issues. In particular, weighing the pros/cons of Golden's buyout, which includes accounting for the loss of revenue by keeping Golden (less donations, less ticket sales, etc.) versus the cost of Golden's buyout.

In short, I think the banner serves a useful therapeutic purpose by providing a forum and outlet for a frustrated fan base that has stomached and endured over a decade of disastrous football from our beloved team. I also think it draws attention to the fans’ overwhelming disapproval of the current staff and desire for change, which turns the hot seat on full-heat and hopefully sets the wheels in motion for a legitimate assessment as to whether Golden should maintain his position as head coach at UM. This is why I donated $200 to the banner, which I believe was the highest contribution, and will continue to donate.

(On a side note before I truly digress, if a potential recruit makes his decision not to come to UM because of a banner, then that player did not have the U mentality/aggression, and I don’t want him in the first-place. On the contrary, if I’m a high school player and see the determination and extent that a fan base is willing to go to in order to voice their displeasure with mediocrity, then I am going to be somewhat fired up to suit up for that fan base and run through a wall for that sort of passion. Maybe I have the Orange/Green goggles on, but I rather go to war for a university that has a fan base that will go to any length to restore dominance and success, as opposed to accepting mediocrity and acting like ostriches with our heads in the sand.)

Last edited:
Advertisement
The banner is the fuel for the administration to blow off any serious consideration of mere fans and supporters discontent. " the same fans who flew fire Butch r now waving the hire him back flag ." This is the running gag around the Hecht.

I understand your point regarding the administration, and while I don't agree with it, this thread isn't about the effect that the banner has on the administration, or lack thereof.

Instead, the thread is about the effect that the banner has on recruiting, which seems to be the central argument for opponents against the banner.

The banner is the fuel for the administration to blow off any serious consideration of mere fans and supporters discontent. " the same fans who flew fire Butch r now waving the hire him back flag ." This is the running gag around the Hecht.

yep, we're the idiots. butch had the balls to make the changes he needed to make to his staff. yet the only thing wrong with our program is ME's and poor tackling. what a bunch of chumps

edit: realize that sounded like you were calling us idiots. i meant that in reference to golden and co laughing at the fans and continuing on as if nothing is wrong

I didn't express any opinion
"Calling us? Idiots"
If the facts of the banner history lead u to that conclusion then that may b indicative of where some non support may come from as well.

Advertisement
I understand your point regarding the administration, and while I don't agree with it, this thread isn't about the effect that the banner has on the administration, or lack thereof.

Instead, the thread is about the effect that the banner has on recruiting, which seems to be the central argument for opponents against the banner.

My central argument against the banner has little to do with recruits.

My central argument is that it's ultimately an ineffective and juvenile publicity stunt that causes harm to the rep of the UM fan base.

I understand that it makes angry fans feel like they have a voice. But there are other, more productive and less harmful outlets for that voice of frustration.

For example, I've outlined in previous posts in other threads how it would be more beneficial to all parties involved to start up a campaign to put money toward Golden's buyout. Get a couple thousand fans to donate 20, 50, or 100 bucks apiece and you've pretty soon you've got 100k. Take that 100k, choose a rep who can express the frustrations of the fan base without resorting to using terms like "Slurper" and such, and set a meeting with a BOT member or with a member of the press. 100k in hand from a few thousand angry fans will get people's attention and will get the ball rolling in a way that a banner never will.

Bottom line...act like adults and start a movement that will get some results. The press will respect that. Fans will respect that. Recruits will respect that.

Don't pull some amateur-hour junior-high publicity stunt and pat yourselves on the back for being "real".

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back