Scarlett, Dex, and Walton discussion

Category5Hurricane

Deejays Ace
Out of the 3 stud recruits we have coming in who would you say gets the most burn and who would you redshirt? This is of course considering Duke moves on to the league after this season.

Advertisement
Dexter needs to be used more as a Brian Westbrook type. Scarlett is clearly the most talented but he needs to get a little tougher and I'm on the record as being meh on Walton. Good back but doesn't wow me. I think a lot of his hype is based off coming out of Booker T

I was just thinking about this today as well. this is 3 completely different styles. you have the slasher in Dex, the Tough runner in Walton and complete back in Scarlett. Even though i hate to compare anyone to NFL players the style i will compare

Dex = Lesean Mccoy

Mccoy can stop on a dime which i havent seen from Dex but he can burn

Scarlett = Marshawn Lynch

Lynch is way tougher of course but he gets those yards and is a patient runner

Walton = Frank Gore

he may not be the size of Gore but they run for those tough yards and break from time to time.

This of course is MY HIGHLY Opinion. i would like to see how other compare them.

Dexter needs to be used more as a Brian Westbrook type. Scarlett is clearly the most talented but he needs to get a little tougher and I'm on the record as being meh on Walton. Good back but doesn't wow me. I think a lot of his hype is based off coming out of Booker T

He plays for one of the most prominent teams in the nation, but he's also facing top notch talent. Losing Cronkrite hurt but I feel comfortable with Deon McIntosh if he comes here.

I was just thinking about this today as well. this is 3 completely different styles. you have the slasher in Dex, the Tough runner in Walton and complete back in Scarlett. Even though i hate to compare anyone to NFL players the style i will compare

Dex = Lesean Mccoy

Walton = Frank Gore

he may not be the size of Gore but they run for those tough yards and break from time to time.

This of course is MY HIGHLY Opinion. i would like to see how other compare them.

Great analysis on all 3 comparisons. If we get that production from them I see a lot of Canes fans smiling in the future.

Advertisement

Dex = Lesean Mccoy

Walton = Frank Gore

Great analysis on all 3 comparisons. If we get that production from them I see a lot of Canes fans smiling in the future.

If each of them turns into an All Pro / borderline Hall of Fame level player, than yes, there will be a lot of smiles.

Dex = Lesean Mccoy

Walton = Frank Gore

If each of them turns into an All Pro / borderline Hall of Fame level player, than yes, there will be a lot of smiles.
1 of them are bound the be a bust. Me thinking Walton but w e shall see

Dex = Lesean Mccoy

Walton = Frank Gore

I like your analysis except I think Dex is more Jamal Charles then shady but I think Dex is the guy you give the most burn because he's just a matchup problem in a way like Sony is for UGA right now where every game he just make s big play. Scarlett imo will play much tougher with the competition here. Walton im a fan of because he does so much but he won't flash like the others will so i dont think he'll play his first year

Scarlett = Legarrette Blound with more speed. Maybe even Eddie Lacy type.

Dex = Forte...good hands and great slashing ability.

Walton = maybe a Demarco Murray in that he is fearless and is the most complete back we have, but with that being said the least upside. Dex and Scarlett have a higher ceiling to grow.

Advertisement
Scarlett and Walton are studs . Dex like many backs of his type may be a star or turned in to a CB by year 3.

I could see us using Dex like UGA use's Sony. Dex is more athlete than RB right now. I could see him on KR. Scarlet is more polished and could make a impact early. Walton I'm not sure of yet. I like him as a pass catcher coming out of the backfield, I think he RS if all 3 come and if Gray stays at RB

With a backfield of yearby,walt,dex,and jordan we are going to have so many weapons it wont be even funny. I think Dex is the more of a smash it down your mouth back. Scarlett is a hybrid back, he is big and fast, he is already at Duke's weight and is taller and ran a 4.2 at the opening(I think). I think Walton will be a mix of Mike James and Lamar Miller, he's not the fastest back but once he builds up some more **** be able to smash it past a few defenders. We all know from the past game what we got in yearby.

Advertisement

Dex = Lesean Mccoy

Walton = Frank Gore

right

Advertisement

Dex = Lesean Mccoy

Walton = Frank Gore

If he can't stop and start on a dime, you can't compare him to Shady.

If he isn't extremely tough and powerful, you can't compare him to Lynch.

And if he isn't almost the most natural running back ever, then he and Gore don't belong in the same sentence.

Those are why I agree that people need to be very careful in comparing players to pros. Maybe they all end up great, but why even try now?

Dex = Lesean Mccoy

Walton = Frank Gore

If he can't stop and start on a dime, you can't compare him to Shady.

If he isn't extremely tough and powerful, you can't compare him to Lynch.

And if he isn't almost the most natural running back ever, then he and Gore don't belong in the same sentence.

Those are why I agree that people need to be very careful in comparing players to pros. Maybe they all end up great, but why even try now?
You compare them because of the style. This are teenagers and have yet to hit what they really can be. Don't see nothing wrong comparing kids to pros. It allows people to understand better the runners they are. I'm not saying Scarlett is lynch that absurd. But he runs like him at the High School level. He may idolize and model his game after him you never know

I could see us using Dex like UGA use's Sony. Dex is more athlete than RB right now. I could see him on KR. Scarlet is more polished and could make a impact early. Walton I'm not sure of yet. I like him as a pass catcher coming out of the backfield, I think he RS if all 3 come and if Gray stays at RB

I totally agree on Dex. In the ACC he will be a constant mismatch and the way Coley is calling plays shows me Dex will eat as a playmaker as a freshman

Dex = Lesean Mccoy

Walton = Frank Gore

That's 3 horrible comparisons. Shake it off and do better.

Advertisement
Back