ESPN ACC Weekend Recruiting Wrap

Jfizz1021

Freshman
By Gerry Hamilton

Remember this unofficial visit: Roquan Smith

ESPN300 No. 26 Roquan Smith made an unofficial visit to Miami (Fla.) over the weekend, and the Hurricanes made a very favorable impression. That means the Under Armour All-America Game outside linebacker is likely to return to Coral Gables in December for an official visit. While Georgia and Florida were once the top two, the Gators have seemingly slipped with UCLA and Miami moving up. LSU and USC also remain in contention with a decision not expected un January or national signing day.

Advertisement
We need LB's, but Tennessee got Shy Tuttle. Thats 2 5* DL for 2015 for them. Butch would have these boys committed already.

Denzel Perryman gone after this year. I wonder who's gonna step up and take his place in the LB core?

Advertisement
By Gerry Hamilton

ESPN300 No. 26 Roquan Smith made an unofficial visit to Miami (Fla.) over the weekend, and the Hurricanes made a very favorable impression. That means the Under Armour All-America Game outside linebacker is likely to return to Coral Gables in December for an official visit. While Georgia and Florida were once the top two, the Gators have seemingly slipped with UCLA and Miami moving up. LSU and USC also remain in contention with a decision not expected un January or national signing day.
He sat with me during the Duke game...when he found out Shaq had committed he had wanted to know what it was that made Shaq commit. I answered as best as i could...didn't try recruiting the kid he has enough of that pressure already... i basically told him i'm kinda bias towards Miami being honest. I suggested that he takes all of his OVs and make the best decision based on what he feels and take only 25 percent what the people are telling you...they have their best interest at heart and you should do the same...After the game i introduced him to Darrion in the locker room... he seemed to be at ease...saw him at the UGA camp last year and UF Spring Game this year....i wish him the best of blessing ....

By Gerry Hamilton

He sat with me during the Duke game...when he found out Shaq had committed he had wanted to know what it was that made Shaq commit. I answered as best as i could...didn't try recruiting the kid he has enough of that pressure already... i basically told him i'm kinda bias towards Miami being honest. I suggested that he takes all of his OVs and make the best decision based on what he feels and take only 25 percent what the people are telling you...they have their best interest at heart and you should do the same...After the game i introduced him to Darrion in the locker room... he seemed to be at ease...saw him at the UGA camp last year and UF Spring Game this year....i wish him the best of blessing ....

Good stuff! Thanks UKnow

Advertisement
Also have JUCO Claude George coming in. Hopefully early! He should be able to help right off the bat.

Denzel Perryman gone after this year. I wonder who's gonna step up and take his place in the LB core?

Thurston will be gone too and he has been playing lights out this year. It will be up to Kirby, Grace, and Owens

Juwon Young should be ready to take the reins once DP leaves. If he isnt, then I guess Kirby will have to step it up.

Grace is playing very nicely this year

Ive watched Grace now for 5 years and this development is no surprise but he absolutely has to gain more muscle because lineman can still push him around. Now next year if he gains the muscle then he'll be the best linebacker on the team

We need LB's, but Tennessee got Shy Tuttle. Thats 2 5* DL for 2015 for them. Butch would have these boys committed already.

LOL at he Botch infatuation . I wonder how many who sweat him actually followed him while he was here to know how much he bungled so many things. He could recruit i will give him that but Golden , now with the cloud gone is doing the same. There are alot of criticisms about AL that are very true but he is flat out , along with Coley , a great recruiter and recognizes talent better then most.

Advertisement

Thurston will be gone too and he has been playing lights out this year. It will be up to Kirby, Grace, and Owens

Juwon Young should be ready to take the reins once DP leaves. If he isnt, then I guess Kirby will have to step it up.

Grace is playing very nicely this year

Grace was a man child in the DUke game .

LOL at he Botch infatuation . I wonder how many who sweat him actually followed him while he was here to know how much he bungled so many things. He could recruit i will give him that but Golden , now with the cloud gone is doing the same. There are alot of criticisms about AL that are very true but he is flat out , along with Coley , a great recruiter and recognizes talent better then most.

I agree. I keep hearing the Butch lovefest and have to wonder him much those people really know or paid attention to. What I saw, in terms of recruiting, was an average recruiter. His track record at UNC bears that out as well. However, what I also saw at Miami, was the best eye for talent in the then major college game.

You don't have to be a great recruiter if you can see the real potential in non-5 star guys because your competition to get them is not as fierce.

Now, having said that, Butch got some high profile guys here and at UNC, but successful programs should each get some. If you get more than you should, then that is recruiting. It is also recruiting if you get less.

Last edited:
Not many here would care if we didnt get 5* guys if we KNEW that the 4* guy we got instead is hand selected by Butch. I dont think it was butch missing top guys, it was more just picking certain guys over them.
And i think golden can recruit really well, but what separates butch is he knows talent waay better.

The ideal scenario for me would be butch coming here to be the pure head recruiter (like choosing who we go after and not to go after).

Advertisement
Not many here would care if we didnt get 5* guys if we KNEW that the 4* guy we got instead is hand selected by Butch. I dont think it was butch missing top guys, it was more just picking certain guys over them.
And i think golden can recruit really well, but what separates butch is he knows talent waay better.

The ideal scenario for me would be butch coming here to be the pure head recruiter (like choosing who we go after and not to go after).

You said this:

I dont think it was butch missing top guys, it was more just picking certain guys over them.

You also said this:

Not many here would care if we didnt get 5* guys if we KNEW that the 4* guy we got instead is hand selected by Butch.

Please provide examples of Butch "passing" on 5s to get 4s. I would love to learn more. My experience is that Butch's gift was finding 3s that later proved to be way under the radar. Your specificity will go a long way to understanding Butch the recruiter. Please also list 5 star battles Butch won and who they were really with.

Advertisement
Back