DB Qestion

fivecent

Junior
At the start of their careers, there was a little talk that Deon should have been the corner and Tracey the safety. After seeing them play for a couple of years, do you think they are currently in their best positions. Same question for Artie. Should he have been a safety instead.

Advertisement
I think it's more scheme than anything. All 3 have **** load of talent. Misuse is what I chalk it up to now. If we ran a scheme that fit our players. These guys would excel, they have the make and mold to play on Sundays. I'll leave it at that. Cause I refuse to believe we could strike out on all of our DBs we have got, it's impossible to do that. SEC teams and schools around the country wanted these guys bad. Howard, Bush, Burns, Elder, Carter.

My opinion, it's not the talent or positions or any of that, this so called defense we run. Is amateur **** and costs many of our players $ in the future. Watch.

Have ****** McCord covering receivers come on man. Enough is said there. Misuse and **** schemes. Staff is ignorant to play towards our strengths.

I feel bad for them. I really do, their not put in a position to succeed. You can see the frustration from players on defense.

We should be playing a 4-3. **** I believe Kirby would be a better fit in the 4-3. Grace would be on the field 24-7 and not limited on snaps. Armbrister would fit very well. Denzel would still be a stud, Chad and McCord and Muhammad would kill it off the edge in an attacking scheme in a 4-3. Could have Chick and Kamalu come inside on pass rush and kill it. Have Jenkins, Pierre, Huert and Moten kill it at tackle. Actually have our safeties come up into the box and run some real coverage too.

We have an amateur at DC. Our guys are not used to their strengths. It's a sick joke this defense we run. These guys would be so much more comfortable and gel better on the field if they were actually allowed to attack and play. Their on a ******* leash and not allowed to real miami defense, rant over. Donofrio sucks, all that talent but doesn't know **** to do with it.

Last edited:
And I'll add more, saw this from a few posters today and proves my point, the ******* schemes and coaching suck. It's not the players and I'll say that till I die. We have the talent. We need to get someone who will run a real system that will work for our players, cause this defense literally handicaps them. Everyone else sees it except for Golden and Dorito. Talent is not the issue. Coaches would kill for the guys we got, it's sad to see some of these guys get wasted away here.

Here you go.

The noise grows louder and louder now, and even some of the prominent Board of Trustee and faculty members are starting to question Al Golden’s judgment.

“He hasn’t hired the best people,” said one Trustee, with regard to defensive coordinator Mark D’Onofrio. An AFC personnel man this week also raised serious concerns about UM’s defensive coaching. (More on that in a minute.)

Let’s be clear on a few things:

1) This defense is as much Golden’s system as D’Onofrio’s. So Golden would be dumping his system if he fired D’Onofrio.

2) Athletic director Blake James has never asked Golden to remove D’Onofrio and has given no indication that he would. James has entrusted Golden with the decision and Golden remains committed to him.
But one UM person said that does not mean that Golden and D'Onofrio will forever be attached at the hip here. Ultimately, a parting of the ways is a possibility if this doesn't get fixed. Golden naturally hopes it doesn't come to that, and if D'Onofrio moves on in a year or two or three or whenever, it would be surprising if it would be characterized as a firing.

3) The players on defense --- yes, the ones recruited by Golden’s staff --- are culpable here to a large extent. They’re the ones unable to shake blocks and stay with backs and receivers in coverage.

But it’s also fair to ask –-- as many have --- if this defensive staff is using the players correctly. We posed that question to an NFL evaluator and others inside and around the program, with two former players/media members also weighing in. Some concerns raised:

### One NFL personnel man who has evaluated UM prospects this year and in the past said the defensive players are underachieving and blames coaching to an extent.

“I don’t think kids respond to them as much you would like; I don’t think players develop as much as you would like,” the official said. “Their kids play hesitant. Something is not right with communication, because they don’t seem to learn” to correct mistakes.

### Several, including the NFL evaluator, wonder why UM plays this much 3-4 defense, especially against teams that run the ball as well as Nebraska.

One said instead of playing with three-man fronts and Tyriq McCord, who seems lighter than his listed 248 pounds, as the rush-end/outside linebacker against Nebraska, it would have made more sense to primarily play a big front of Anthony Chickillo and 295-pound Ufomba Kamalu at end, with Olsen Pierre, Calvin Heurtelou and Courtel Jenkins sharing the two tackle spots.

“Tyriq has no business being asked to put his hand in the ground [at times],” said one person very close to the program. “He’s too light in the butt. He’s a weak-side linebacker. If they can’t see what the kids are, they will never be any good.”

Asked how McCord is doing against the run, D’Onofrio said: “Everybody has something they have to improve on, starting with me.”

So against physical teams with power running games, why not play Kamalu more at end instead of McCord to give UM a bigger 4-3 front? D’Onofrio said “that would require guys to learn additional techniques” and he believes he’s already asking them to do enough.

One evaluator who has watched UM a lot said: “If you don’t have linebackers to scrape and fill, you might as well play a 4-3 and start neutralizing the offensive line.”

Former NFL cornerback and WQAM analyst Duane Starks said: D’Onofrio “doesn’t have the guys to accomplish the defense he wants to accomplish. I blame coaches for some of the scheme.”

### The NFL personnel man said UM plays its safeties too deep, including against Nebraska. McNeeseState crowded the box against Nebraska much more than Miami did. And though McNeese allowed more passing yards than Miami did, it also relinquished fewer points and fewer yards overall. UM safeties were sometimes lined up 12 yards past the line of scrimmage.

“We got four people on the ball against six,” former UM running back Clinton Portis tweeted during Saturday’s game. “And our defensive backs are playing 10 yards off. I don’t know what we are taking away.”

Asked why his safeties play so deep, D’Onofrio said Tuesday: "Generally we probably pressured 60 percent of the time, which means if we do that we only have one safety deep if we're doing that. There's no crystal ball. Is it a run down, is it a pass down? What's the situation?

“But we had defenders down to stop the run. We had somebody assigned, somebody accounted for, the free player a lot of the time. And a lot of the times we just came up short. I'll take the responsibility for that and continue to try to coach the guys up so that we can execute better. But as far as run philosophy and them running the ball, we had numbers where we needed to have numbers. We just didn't have execution."

### One staffer who has worked with D’Onofrio at UM said his system is too complicated for some players.

One example: Because the defensive ends and rush linebackers are asked to switch sides during a game, they must study the offensive linemen on both sides, not just one. “That’s too much to ask of college students,” one source said, adding it doesn’t even help that much.

### Another question raised is whether this system makes players think too much. In this defense, “you have to do more than just your assignment,” Starks said. As a result, “we’re getting slow reaction.”

Said the NFL evaluator: “Too much read and react. Kids are scared to make mistakes, and they play tight, looking over their shoulders.”

### UM defensive linemen sometimes are asked to move around before plays, which at times has led to confusion and open lane. D’Onofrio said he does it so the opponent doesn’t know where the fourth rusher is coming.

But “if you are trying to run these lazy stunts, it’s not going to get it done when you don’t have that great defensive line,” Starks said. “We’re missing guys that can beat his guy one on one.”

### Cornerbacks giving up too space. UM insists it is playing a lot of man defense, more than D’Onofrio’s first season.

Many (not all) of these defensive backs are more comfortable playing press man than zone, but suggestions from defensive players aren’t welcomed, one player said.

One problem is that UM’s most highly-recruited cornerback, Tracy Howard, doesn’t have enough speed to recover if he plays too tightly on a receiver and is beaten initially, one UM person said.

Starks wonders: “What is the purpose [of this defense]? Beats me. With every defense I played, there was a purpose. There is a lot of BS going on and it has to be fixed. That scheme has to change

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sport...#storylink=cpy

Bush at cornerback is a scary visual. He doesn't move well enough or cover well enough at safety.

Howard isn't physical enough for safety although I'm not sure it would matter considering what we ask our safeties can do. I'm not as down on Howard as others are. He's lost several jump ball situations due to lack of awareness but I've watched him at both home games and his coverage skills are generally good. This week is a big test because Duke will have more balance and more creative wrinkles than anyone we've faced.

I suppose Burns could play safety. There have been lanky safeties who look like that. I don't know what to think of Burns other than he doesn't look nearly as promising as a year ago. That kid should prioritize special teams. He's got the length and closing burst to swat kicks, like the one at North Carolina last season.

Advertisement
Bush at cornerback is a scary visual. He doesn't move well enough or cover well enough at safety.

Howard isn't physical enough for safety although I'm not sure it would matter considering what we ask our safeties can do. I'm not as down on Howard as others are. He's lost several jump ball situations due to lack of awareness but I've watched him at both home games and his coverage skills are generally good. This week is a big test because Duke will have more balance and more creative wrinkles than anyone we've faced.

I suppose Burns could play safety. There have been lanky safeties who look like that. I don't know what to think of Burns other than he doesn't look nearly as promising as a year ago. That kid should prioritize special teams. He's got the length and closing burst to swat kicks, like the one at North Carolina last season.

Thanks. My untrained eye can't pick up a lot of the differences. I was prompted ask because of the sports buzz where its mentioned that Tracey doesn't have closing speed, while I have seen Deon who looks really fast out there. As for Artie, he just doesn't seem to have any ball skills whatsoever.

Howard is not blazing fast. But neither is he slow. Runs in the 4.5 about a low 4.5, but even at that. 4.4s and 4.3s are not even that common as people think. I could see Howard having a mismatch with a guy like Dorsett but most others, he would be fine.

And Awsi I feel the same with you on Howard, idk what's going on there but he does have the cover skills and ability to make plays. I feel as if their is a rough patch he's going through.

I just feel these guys are being hurt more than helped with the scheme we run.

If they would have went were they intended to go Bama and UF, the discussion would be what pick in the first round they would be. Their wasting their talents here unfortunately and these *** hats called coaches are not putting the in situations to excel by scheming to their strengths. I hope a change is made for the sake of these kids future in football

Advertisement
### Several, including the NFL evaluator, wonder why UM plays this much 3-4 defense, especially against teams that run the ball as well as Nebraska.

One said instead of playing with three-man fronts and Tyriq McCord, who seems lighter than his listed 248 pounds, as the rush-end/outside linebacker against Nebraska, it would have made more sense to primarily play a big front of Anthony Chickillo and 295-pound Ufomba Kamalu at end, with Olsen Pierre, Calvin Heurtelou and Courtel Jenkins sharing the two tackle spots.

“Tyriq has no business being asked to put his hand in the ground [at times],” said one person very close to the program. “He’s too light in the butt. He’s a weak-side linebacker. If they can’t see what the kids are, they will never be any good.”

I watched the tape of the game tonight. It's a joke when we're in a 3-man front with McCord on the flank. He seldom has his hand on the ground but it's always a laughably vulnerable scheme. None of the interior guys are special. Occasionally they manage a stalemate. That leaves little McCord out there asked to do far more than anyone would be capable of.

Kamulu absolutely should be out there more. The only possession that semi-impressed me was late second quarter when we held Nebraska to a field goal at our goal line. In general we were more aggressive on that drive. Crawford took off on first down and attacked the backfield at the snap. He missed the tackle but at least there were signs of energy. Kamulu entered the field on second down and fought off Nebraska's right guard for a nice tackle for no gain. It was probably the best play from any of our defensive linemen all night. We actually had somebody who was strong and athletic enough to disrupt a play.

It's funny to read that Herald article because it was exactly what I was thinking two hours ago, that if we're going to waste time in a 3-4 at least have Kamulu out there. He has an ideal frame for 3-4 left end. IMO, with Pierre and Heurtelou on the field at the same time you're sacrificing too much against a team the caliber of Nebraska. Jenkins was disengaging quicker than Heurtelou. Anyone who thinks our tackles are adequate is playing hateful make believe. I prefer an upfield 4-3 but among this crop I couldn't come up with any rotation that would be ideal.

BTW, on the offensive side Flowers really had trouble when Gregory was lined up against him. A Nebraska fan posted here that Flowers flipped off the crowd after the game. I'm not surprised. You could see that Gregory was jawing to him and really getting under Flowers' skin. Gregory had more pop and wiry strength than Flowers was accustomed to. One time Gregory knocked off Flowers' helmet on a pass rush. When Gregory was jawing at him, Flowers would shake his head no but it was denial, like a boxer who gets hit in the face but wants to pretend it didn't hurt.

Last edited:
I remember that video. Sheesh, only person who I would expect to beat those boys, Coley always been an animal.

And datcaneguy my exact feelings man.

I watched the tape of the game tonight. It's a joke when we're in a 3-man front with McCord on the flank. He seldom has his hand on the ground but it's always a laughably vulnerable scheme. None of the interior guys are special. Occasionally they manage a stalemate. That leaves little McCord out there asked to do far more than anyone would be capable of.
That sentence might be very wrong. Maybe it was just against that particular olineman but one of the Dts, either 92(jenkins) or 93(heurtelou) was constantly pushing his man into the backfield. It was very noticeable because the rest of the dline would often go in the opposite direction.

Howard is not blazing fast. But neither is he slow. Runs in the 4.5 about a low 4.5, but even at that. 4.4s and 4.3s are not even that common as people think. I could see Howard having a mismatch with a guy like Dorsett but most others, he would be fine.

And Awsi I feel the same with you on Howard, idk what's going on there but he does have the cover skills and ability to make plays. I feel as if their is a rough patch he's going through.

I just feel these guys are being hurt more than helped with the scheme we run.

Usually agree with you on most of your posts, but Artie has shown no talent whatsoever out there. Schemes have nothing to do with making a 1on1 tackle. He's playing scared out there and it's highly noticeable. Elder comes in and he's looked great, but for some reason as is the case with Herb on offense they don't remain in the game for longer periods of time. Highschool talent doesn't always translate to college. College doesn't always translate to the pros. On that note our ******* coaches suck at managing a game.

Advertisement
Did anyone watch T. Howard essentialy get out of the way of Abdullah in the 3rd QT? The kid has some ball skills but he can't tackle well enough to be a safety.

I think Deon is a press corner, I know that's what we recruited him as. His instincts at safety have always been in question, IIRC he didn't record a pick his senior year. He's an elite athlete who you just throw on an opposing receiver, lock up, and let him play.

Howard to me just doesn't have a position and was simply overrated coming out of HS. Awesome HS player, but he has too many limitations to excel on a consistent basis at this level. He's not a safety because he doesn't tackle well enough. But he doesn't really have the speed or hips to lock up man-to-man on a team's best receiver either. I know he refused to run at camps and didn't compete in a lot of them. Pretty sure the one time he did he ran like a 4.8 and did not look all that impressive.

I think Deon is a press corner, I know that's what we recruited him as. His instincts at safety have always been in question, IIRC he didn't record a pick his senior year. He's an elite athlete who you just throw on an opposing receiver, lock up, and let him play.

Howard to me just doesn't have a position and was simply overrated coming out of HS. Awesome HS player, but he has too many limitations to excel on a consistent basis at this level. He's not a safety because he doesn't tackle well enough. But he doesn't really have the speed or hips to lock up man-to-man on a team's best receiver either. I know he refused to run at camps and didn't compete in a lot of them. Pretty sure the one time he did he ran like a 4.8 and did not look all that impressive.

I agree, TH is average, I think Elder will grow into our best CB

Advertisement
i remember Deon Sanders druling over artie burns as a safety, i think during the AA game practices maybe? i asked about him as a safety here and consensus was if artie could become a big physical lockdown corner, that adds way more value than a good safety, which i understand completely and agree with. and i think hes a good corner, and combine that with the fact that we have more depth at safety than at corner and i get why he's a corner. but i was always slightly disappointed he didnt come in and play safety. we've been missing a ballhawking safety for years now. he has an elite speed/size/athleticisim combination....if he had the instincts he could make a ridiculous safety. i love a hard hitting safety, but not at the expense of cover skills...just makes me think of ray ray armstrong. deon is athletic, but i dont know if dallas has the ball skills and cover skills

Your 2-2 with me being spot on. Deon does not have the awareness to be a safety, he needs to just line up and play without thinking too much.let his athleticism take over at Corner. Tracy has always been hype to me. when put in the right position he makes plays but he is not great just average. Burns would excel at Safety he has to speed to cover a wide range and the jumping ability for those long passes. at corner he seems limited.he is not a cover one guy type player, he is a playmaker. Crawford and Corn is our best corners right now. they tackle, cover well, and do everything you want in a corner. its really sad when the Fans know how to use the players better then the coaches.

Advertisement
Back