Sports Buzz (SIAP)

Miami82

Mediocrity is for pussies
BUZZ COLUMN

The noise grows louder and louder now, and even some of the prominent Board of Trustee and faculty members are starting to question Al Golden’s judgment.

“He hasn’t hired the best people,” said one Trustee, with regard to defensive coordinator Mark D’Onofrio. An AFC personnel man this week also raised serious concerns about UM’s defensive coaching. (More on that in a minute.)

Let’s be clear on a few things:

1) This defense is as much Golden’s system as D’Onofrio’s. So Golden would be dumping his system if he fired D’Onofrio.

2) Athletic director Blake James has never asked Golden to remove D’Onofrio and has given no indication that he would. James has entrusted Golden with the decision and Golden remains committed to him.

But one UM person said that does not mean that Golden and D'Onofrio will forever be attached at the hip here. Ultimately, a parting of the ways is a possibility if this doesn't get fixed. Golden naturally hopes it doesn't come to that, and if D'Onofrio moves on in a year or two or three or whenever, it would be surprising if it would be characterized as a firing.

3) The players on defense --- yes, the ones recruited by Golden’s staff --- are culpable here to a large extent. They’re the ones unable to shake blocks and stay with backs and receivers in coverage.

But it’s also fair to ask –-- as many have --- if this defensive staff is using the players correctly. We posed that question to an NFL evaluator and others inside and around the program, with two former players/media members also weighing in. Some concerns raised:

### One NFL personnel man who has evaluated UM prospects this year and in the past said the defensive players are underachieving and blames coaching to an extent.

I don’t think kids respond to them as much you would like; I don’t think players develop as much as you would like,” the official said. “Their kids play hesitant. Something is not right with communication, because they don’t seem to learn” to correct mistakes.

### Several, including the NFL evaluator, wonder why UM plays this much 3-4 defense, especially against teams that run the ball as well as Nebraska. (UM also plays some 4-3, of course.)

One said instead of playing with three-man fronts and Tyriq McCord, who seems lighter than his listed 248 pounds, as the rush-end/outside linebacker against Nebraska, it would have made more sense to primarily play a big front of Anthony Chickillo and 295-pound Ufomba Kamalu at end, with Olsen Pierre, Calvin Heurtelou and Courtel Jenkins sharing the two tackle spots.

“Tyriq has no business being asked to put his hand in the ground [at times],” said one person very close to the program. “He’s too light in the butt. He’s a weak-side linebacker. If they can’t see what the kids are, they will never be any good.”

Asked how McCord is doing against the run, D’Onofrio said: “Everybody has something they have to improve on, starting with me.”

So against physical teams with power running games, why not play Kamalu more at end instead of McCord to give UM a bigger 4-3 front? D’Onofrio said “that would require guys to learn additional techniques” and he believes he’s already asking them to do enough.

One evaluator who has watched UM a lot said: “If you don’t have linebackers to scrape and fill, you might as well play a 4-3 and start neutralizing the offensive line.”

Former NFL cornerback and WQAM analyst Duane Starks said: D’Onofrio “doesn’t have the guys to accomplish the defense he wants to accomplish. I blame coaches for some of the scheme.”

### The NFL personnel man said UM plays its safeties too deep, including against Nebraska. McNeese State crowded the box against Nebraska much more than Miami did.

And though McNeese allowed more passing yards than Miami did, it also relinquished fewer points and fewer yards overall. UM safeties were sometimes lined up 12 yards past the line of scrimmage.

“We got four people on the ball against six,” former UM running back Clinton Portis tweeted during Saturday’s game. “And our defensive backs are playing 10 yards off. I don’t know what we are taking away.”

Asked why his safeties play so deep, D’Onofrio said Tuesday: "Generally we probably pressured 60 percent of the time, which means if we do that we only have one safety deep if we're doing that. There's no crystal ball. Is it a run down, is it a pass down? What's the situation?

“But we had defenders down to stop the run. We had somebody assigned, somebody accounted for, the free player a lot of the time. And a lot of the times we just came up short. I'll take the responsibility for that and continue to try to coach the guys up so that we can execute better. But as far as run philosophy and them running the ball, we had numbers where we needed to have numbers. We just didn't have execution."

### One staffer who has worked with D’Onofrio at UM said his system is too complicated for some players.

One example: Because the defensive ends are sometimes asked to switch sides during a game, they must study the offensive linemen on both sides, not just one. “That’s too much to ask of college students,” one source said, adding it doesn’t even help that much.

### Another question raised is whether this system makes players think too much. In this defense, “you have to do more than just your assignment,” Starks said. As a result, “we’re getting slow reaction.”

Said the NFL evaluator: “Too much read and react. Kids are scared to make mistakes, and they play tight, looking over their shoulders.”

### UM defensive linemen sometimes are asked to move around before plays, which at times has led to confusion and open lanes. D’Onofrio said he does it so the opponent doesn’t know where the fourth rusher is coming.

But “if you are trying to run these lazy stunts, it’s not going to get it done when you don’t have that great defensive line,” Starks said. “We’re missing guys that can beat his guy one on one.”

### Cornerbacks giving up too much space. UM insists it is playing a lot of man defense, more than D’Onofrio’s first season.

Many (not all) of these defensive backs are more comfortable playing press man than zone, but suggestions from defensive players aren’t welcomed, one player said.

One problem is that UM’s most highly-recruited cornerback, Tracy Howard, doesn’t have enough speed to recover if he plays too tightly on a receiver and is beaten initially, one UM person said.

Starks wonders: “What is the purpose [of this defense]? Beats me. With every defense I played, there was a purpose. There is a lot of BS going on and it has to be fixed. That scheme has to change.”

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...planation-dolphins-chatter.html#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
Everything they're saying is true. Including the part where we say we have someone assigned. Sure, we have someone assigned, but it would take a perfect play to actually make the stop.

We need to get back to attacking on defense at all times. We'll give up a few big plays, but we'll give up so much less throughout the game.

It's been said a million times on here, but I felt like a bunch of former players and NFL people repeating what we've said bears noting.

NFL evaluators used to drool over our players and scheme. The OP is a tell all and exposed our staff in so many ways its not even funny.

I'm glad Golden won't fire his best friend.

It'll make ****canning him that much easier.

Advertisement
The dissecting of their idiocy would be great if I thought it would invoke some change. They've enjoyed getting their heads bashed in for 3+ years. They'll just keeping running into a brick wall.

**** is sad. Coley has changed more since week one than the defense has since 2011. With every bad performance they'll at least have to answer the questions.

anyone can look at McCord and see he aint no 248 pounds....i'm glad the evaluator went in on that BS. Folden be gone.

anyone can look at McCord and see he aint no 248 pounds....i'm glad the evaluator went in on that BS. Folden be gone.

McCord would be fine at whatever weight he is if they just asked him to attack the QB and while on his way there try to tackle the running back from time to time. Throwing another 280 lb guy out there makes us even slower. I get the thought though. Since you're not trying to get up the field anyway might as well be as big and strong as possible.

Advertisement
Coaches are stubborn 4 years in and this stuff still happens...You got your players in, you evaluated them and thought they would fit this scheme, you coached them up. So if the players are supposedly not getting it then who does that fall on for bringing them in. Anyway these coaches try to spin it, they are at fault largely.

At the end of the day these excuses are meaningless when support from donors, boosters, fans, and alumni stop. It's a wrap for them, one more showing of that Nebraska game this season and there going to force this administration to step in whether it be firing No D and if Golden doesn't agree to it fire him too. seems like the administration has giving Golden more lee way due to the Cloud, but the displeasure from inside and outside the program will be too much for them to ignore. I believe either one or both of them are done either during this season or after.

McCord would be fine at whatever weight he is if they just asked him to attack the QB and while on his way there try to tackle the running back from time to time. Throwing another 280 LB out there makes us even slower. I get the thought though. Since you're not trying to get up the field anyway, might as well be as big and strong as possible.

You missed my point....don't lie and tell people lil johnny weights 248 when lil johnny is weighing 230. Folden and his band of callous liars come across as sociopathic type liars. Plus he has his hand down on the ground and not as a weakside linebacker.

McCord would be fine at whatever weight he is if they just asked him to attack the QB and while on his way there try to tackle the running back from time to time. Throwing another 280 LB out there makes us even slower. I get the thought though. Since you're not trying to get up the field anyway, might as well be as big and strong as possible.

You missed my point....don't lie and tell people lil johnny weights 248 when lil johnny is weighing 230. Folden and his band of callous liars come across as sociopathic type liars. Plus he has his hand down on the ground and not as a weakside linebacker.

They've been lying about weights since 2012. He always talks about how much some guy weighs and inflates that weight by about 5-10 lbs.

He is obsessed with weight gain. Not speed on defense. Just conflicts with what Miami and really college football defenses are about.

I've seen nothing from McCord that says he should be playing OLB. Looks bad in space. He was brought in to be a pash rusher. Let him do it.

Last edited:
NFL evaluators used to drool over our players and scheme. The OP is a tell all and exposed our staff in so many ways its not even funny.

They still drool over the players -- they just know they can pick them up in late rounds or as undrafted free agents. Golden is costing his players a lot of $$$$.

Advertisement
dwrNVi.gif

Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.

How is this guy still the defensive coordinator at the university of Miami? Blame Golden, blame James, blame the BOT, blame the donors.... I don't know. Somebody needs to put their foot down, and soon.

It scares the crap out of me that I am not convinced that they would fire Golden. Firing D'Onofrio does not cut it for me. Golden is the problem, and has been since day one.

Advertisement
I have a weird feeling that donofrio won't be the DC here in two weeks. Idk if it will help anything. But I feel it in my plums

It scares the crap out of me that I am not convinced that they would fire Golden. Firing D'Onofrio does not cut it for me. Golden is the problem, and has been since day one.

Pony up some bucks and get a real defensive coordinator in here, and give him free reign. Hire a new S&C coach who will toughen these kids up.

We can't fire Golden at this point because of the buyout, I get that, but all of the above can happen tomorrow if the admin had any balls at all.

Advertisement
Back