Its Official: Gray Crow back at QB (article)

deerob305

Junior
Miami Herald

Even with Kevin Olsen having departed the University of Miami football program, the Hurricanes are still at five scholarship quarterbacks.

That's because UM coach Al Golden moved fullback Gray Crow back to quarterback Tuesday evening. Crow was recruited as a quarterback and played quarterback for the Hurricanes until this season.

Two sources close to the situation verified the information.

The scholarship quarterbacks at UM: true freshman Brad Kaaya, graduate transfer Jake Heaps, fifth-year senior Ryan Williams, true freshman Malik Rosier, and now, Crow.

Crow, a 6-3 and 224 pound redshirt sophomore, played high school ball at Countryside in Clearwater.

Last season, Crow played in two games at quarterback and completed six of eight passes for 55 yards and a touchdown, with an interception.

*He was a three-star prospect when he was recruited, and threw for 1,601 yards and 12 touchdowns as a senior, leading Countryside to 22 wins in two seasons, including a berth in the state title game when he was a junior.

Advertisement
GIF-celebrate-Cheer-cheerleading-Droopy-meh-sarcastic-wave-flag-woo-hoo-yay-GIF.gif

Advertisement
Hey, he has a 75% completion ratio and no picks. Lace him up. With Coley at OC, does it really matter? Seriously, glad the kid is here. Better to use him in emergency than burn Rosier''s shirt. I think this is good move. Other than him, we have a 5th year senior who could not beat out a true freshman on a team with an HC in love with seniors and a guy coming back from injury who couldn't get on the field last year with a one-legged QB in front of him stinking up the place.

Advertisement
Seems kind of pointless. Between Kaaya/Heaps/Williams he should never see the field this year, and next year I'd rather roll with Kaaya, Rosier, Lawson (assuming he sticks), and maybe a transfer.

Seems kind of pointless. Between Kaaya/Heaps/Williams he should never see the field this year, and next year I'd rather roll with Kaaya, Rosier, Lawson (assuming he sticks), and maybe a transfer.

He may never play a down, but he wasn't going to play at any position. Until we add numbers at QB next year, he is at least someone who is already here. I never assume a recruit will stick until he signs, and a transfer QB who would add value might be too much to hope for.

Advertisement
Guys like Gray Crow are necessary for depth purposes, not to necessarily be able to competently play but for practice. You have to take some of those lower tier players at the QB position b/c you can't just take one every year and good QB's are much more likely to transfer if they are capable of starting somewhere else.

Now, did we have to take Dewey, Crow and Thompson all in a row? No, that was terrible recruiting.

Guys like Gray Crow are necessary for depth purposes, not to necessarily be able to competently play but for practice. You have to take some of those lower tier players at the QB position b/c you can't just take one every year and good QB's are much more likely to transfer if they are capable of starting somewhere else.

Now, did we have to take Dewey, Crow and Thompson all in a row? No, that was terrible recruiting.

But Crow sucks and can never be relied on, how does he help for depth purposes?

I get it that every QB can't be a stud or even decent but this guy is a bum.

Advertisement
Crow was far from a 3 star recruit. He had one offer and it came from attending an al golden camp.

Advertisement
Back