Article: This is a mope-free zone here, Im expecting a big year...

View as article

k9cane

Senior
yeah, I said it, like Michael Keaton's character in 'Gung Ho'( a totally underrated 80's movie, if you ask me) when he threw down the gauntlet at his fellow co-workers and screamed:"15,000 CARS!!!"( or whatever the number was, I haven't seen the movie in awhile) but I'll say it now: 11 wins!!!

Yeah, the Bo Derek plus one.

IMO, and perhaps this is just hopeless optimism, but I think this could be the best team UM has fielded since 2005. I was thinking 2003, but that year's defense was a monster. But this is now when Al Golden is on the clock for me. Yeah, the first two years were mulligans to my slanted eyes. Some may not agree, but I don't give a ****. Those teams were not going anywhere, I didn't have any real expectations of those squads. Now, he's had some time to lay the type of foundation he wants. I like what I'm hearing.

However, this year, I see a potentially great offense, which will be predicated on Stephen Morris being as improved in the fall as it seemed he was in the summer months and of course, the health of one Randy 'Duke' Johnson. But finally, I see a UM quality Oline( one with at least a few NFLers upfront), TE's that can play, and perhaps the best group of WR's in the land.

Defensively, I expect at least nominal improvement. Let's face it, they couldn't be any worse. Curtis Porter is pivotal. I know he's not exactly Jim Marshall in terms of durability, but he can be a difference maker inside and has the ability to make those around him better. This wont be a dominant unit, but if the offense lives up to expectations, they wont have to be. If these upperclassmen who transferred in and some youngins like AQM can play specified roles effectively, this unit will be able to hide some flaws.

Kicking game worries me but hopefully we aren't seeing a reprisal of the Andy Crosland era.

To me, the Florida game is the whole key to the season. Win that, and all of a sudden I see a team that could brim with confidence and do big things. I say it's the most important game, thus far, of the Golden Era. To me, this is when he's officially on the clock.

So yeah, I'm positive because quite frankly, I'm a believer in whats going on and I'm sick of being negative for the past decade or so( where quite frankly, it was warranted). My message is this, don't be afraid to be a fan, it's OK to have hope( at least this season). I'm all in on this team and Golden and staff. If you can't at least admit there have been some positive things going on within this program, well, I don't even know what to say.

Double-digit victories in 2013 and this will only be the beginning. I have a high regard for Golden, and with that, high expectations for this great program.

As Ive said before in paraphrasing Howard Schnellenberger,"Miami is on a collision course with greatness with Golden, the only variable is time and NCAA sanctions."

Get on the bandwagon - no mopes allowed

Last edited:
Advertisement
front of the home page

523.jpg

Last edited:
Advertisement
I am with you. I think we should at least win 10 games this year. Beating Florida is big because they are 1 of 2 ranked teams we play,

For me the season hinges on beating up on the teams we should be beating up. We loose a lot of starters from this years team. It's critical that the back ups get some solid minutes.
Morris shouldn't be on the field in the 4th against teams like Duke, struggling to put them away as it does nothing for prepping Olsen or whoever wil be the starter next year.

What made the great UM teams so great is that the underclassmen had plenty of valuable minutes under their belt when it was their time to start.

Yes, I want the UF game as much as anybody. But I'll settle for knocking the snot out the teams we should be dominating and not having lethargic, 4 quarter battles with the also rans. To me that will be a sign of significant improvement and I'll be happy with that.

Having said that, I'll ride and die with these boyz like I do every year. Let's get thing this thing going with a 40+ victory margin on Friday night.

Advertisement
For me the season hinges on beating up on the teams we should be beating up. We loose a lot of starters from this years team. It's critical that the back ups get some solid minutes.
Morris shouldn't be on the field in the 4th against teams like Duke, struggling to put them away as it does nothing for prepping Olsen or whoever wil be the starter next year.

What made the great UM teams so great is that the underclassmen had plenty of valuable minutes under their belt when it was their time to start.

Yes, I want the UF game as much as anybody. But I'll settle for knocking the snot out the teams we should be dominating and not having lethargic, 4 quarter battles with the also rans. To me that will be a sign of significant improvement and I'll be happy with that.

Having said that, I'll ride and die with these boyz like I do every year. Let's get thing this thing going with a 40+ victory margin on Friday night.

Well put............since Shannon it seems like we have struggled with Duke almost every year!! It's just ridiculous that this is still continuing. Canes should minimum put up double digit wins vs. Duke and UVA or we are not back!!!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back