To all those complaining about SFL High School Coaches..

I'm an assistant football coach in GA, and I can tell u that a varsity level assistant in GA, starts around $5-6,000 per year. Now according to the county you work in and the school that you work in, that money can increase big time. In Lowndes Co. for example, assistants start around $12,000 and goes up to around 16-20 for coordinators. Heads, of course, make more.

Advertisement
Another thing...

I always found this funny.

Every time I've talked to another South Florida coach and we talk about the pay in Texas or Georgia they always respond with the same thing.

"Yeah but there's alot of pressure up there. You gotta win or else you're gone."

Well no ****** ****! Don't you strive to win anyways?! What kind of loser mentality is that?!

My desire to field a great defense has never been determined by monetary value. I'm trying to win whether you pay me $0.99 or $99,000.

This is probably why I NEVER see Florida coaches on the various coaching message boards I go on. These message boards are filled with great football minds and they're all from Texas, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Louisiana, Georgia, the Carolinas, etc. These guys are filled with great concepts. You NEVER see a coach from Florida on these sites. Why? Cause guys down here don't care enough to do research and learn more about the game. SMH

I'm an assistant football coach in GA, and I can tell u that a varsity level assistant in GA, starts around $5-6,000 per year. Now according to the county you work in and the school that you work in, that money can increase big time. In Lowndes Co. for example, assistants start around $12,000 and goes up to around 16-20 for coordinators. Heads, of course, make more.

SMH. Unbelievable.

I'm going to puke.

I'm going to puke.

Oh coaching in Georgia is great. Downside you are on a year to year contract for the most part. The old HC from NFC got 90,000 to coach. Oh and for most of the county schools they just coach (HC and some coordinators) no teaching.

Advertisement
how is it a state such as texas can afford to pay coaches six figure amounts? why such a discrepancy in pay?

You pay your cops and firemen 100k, 200k and some 300k then let them retire as early as 40 after working as little as 20 years. The get massive pensions, some get a million dollar check handed to them when they leave the drop scam, many get hundreds of thousands in drop. Then you give them top of the line HC for pennies on the dollars. Oh I forgot the 3 % raises for life, they make more retiring than the do working. IMO, they are much worse than criminals. Wonder why your teachers cant get paid? Don't wonder anymore!

Last edited:
Advertisement
As stated, the taxes here in Texas are pretty high, especially in the nicer areas of the cities. It's a Catch 22 situation:

1. The nicer areas have companies that "sponsor" districts. (Not so much schools)
2. Because these districts have "sponsors" they have a lot more cash to use for other things: (paying top coaches, equipment, etc)
3. Good HS coaches are like Kings here. If a school has a good coach, he's provided a lot of "extra" perks. (Cars, food, etc) You look at a school like Katy High School. Perennial state powerhouse. Their coach pretty much spits out Div 1 recruits on a regular basis. It's safe to say that college coaches around the state will bow to him and give him access to their resources. It's a win-win relationship. They give him resources, he provides them access to his players.

Another thing to consider, is that the coaching culture here is SERIOUS and very supportive! Tons of colleges in the state offer free services for these coaches, such as mentoring, video equipment, clinics, even access to private practices.

I always found it ironic (and pathetic) how little we appreciate football down here considering the ridiculous amount of talent we have in the state.

Florida has more football talent than anywhere in the nation but we pay our coaches nothing.

so it's ok to behave unethically because you don't get paid well?
Is that what you really got out of this thread? smh

Really. SMH

Not sure I get the SMH.

My point is if you dont expect SOME of these guys to be immature in their ways, living their life through these players, or trying to steer players to schools because they might get shot a few hundred dollars here or there you are kidding yourselves. What else do they have? Your not going to get rich from college coaches. As a matter of fact some times the money they get from college coaches go right back to the players. Most coaches start coaching for the love of the game.

So they are poor and are helping the kids which is truly admirable. They live through their players and live for them and can be immature and overreact which is completely understandable. All that goes out the window when they are on the take or steering kids to certain schools for money. So they got into it for the love of the game and to lead kids in the right direction, but when the going got tough they took to the hustle and this is OK? Yep - SMH

Advertisement

Really. SMH

Not sure I get the SMH.

My point is if you dont expect SOME of these guys to be immature in their ways, living their life through these players, or trying to steer players to schools because they might get shot a few hundred dollars here or there you are kidding yourselves. What else do they have? Your not going to get rich from college coaches. As a matter of fact some times the money they get from college coaches go right back to the players. Most coaches start coaching for the love of the game.

So they are poor and are helping the kids which is truly admirable. They live through their players and live for them and can be immature and overreact which is completely understandable. All that goes out the window when they are on the take or steering kids to certain schools for money. So they got into it for the love of the game and to lead kids in the right direction, but when the going got tough they took to the hustle and this is OK? Yep - SMH

I don't think anybody is saying that it's okay. Atleast I'm not.

When your government is more interested in using tax payer dollars for a wretched joke baseball team's ****** stadium than in education, you end up with this.

But at the same time, cry me a river. Be a grown up. Don't take handouts and don't talk **** on the U bc your real job doesn't pay well.

Advertisement
I know for a fact the coach at Camden County HS in GA was getting paid 100k plus and that was 5 years ago.

Really. SMH

Not sure I get the SMH.

I don't think anybody is saying that it's okay. Atleast I'm not.
This. No one is saying its ok or it's right. But it's a reality and those in the know are simply pointing out the realities of what is going on in football in the state of Florida.

As stated above, there r some head coaches up here pulling in some serious ca$h. Especially the top programs (Valdosta, Lowndes Co., Camden, Colquitt Co., etc.). It's an arms race. But of course u gotta have some credentials to get that kind of loot.

Advertisement
Back