Al Golden is a young Nick Saban, recruiting expert says

HurricaneinLA

Senior
By Michael Casagrande Sun Sentinel

They might may not be names most Miamians want their coaches compared to, but this is a complement.

Trust me. It's a good thing.

In an interview with the Sun Sentinel, CBS recruiting expert Tom Lemming said UM coach Al Golden is getting close to rebuilding the Hurricane empire. Getting the NCAA case out of the way is a big part of that, but he's done extremely well bringing top talent to the embattled program.

Then Lemming said it.

“As soon as this clears up, the recruiting should be great,” he said. “Miami will be back to being a powerhouse, I think. Golden is a younger version of Nick Saban and Urban Meyer and he’s recruited very, very well considering this is swirling around.”

Yep, he compared the Hurricane coach to the widely-hated former Dolphins coach and the equally disliked ex-Gator.

He meant that as a positive considering they're both ace recruiters. Oh, and they combined to win six of the last 10 national titles. Golden is 18 years younger than Saban (61) and five years shy of Meyer (48).

Lemming went on to say Miami will be much better off when the sanctions eventually come down in its 22-month long investigation in the Nevin Shapiro matter.

It will allow Miami to paint a more concise picture of the program's future and quiet outside negativity.

"Believe me, colleges will use anything to help benefit themselves in recruiting so they were using that against Miami like crazy," Lemming said. "If that gives you any indication how good Al Golden is as recruiter, he still did well.

"They were pounding away at Miami — particularly Florida and Florida State. They tried to smear the school to players and it worked on some kids. In recruiting, there is no loyalty. There is no fairness. It's all about acquiring as much talent as possible. If a school has any kind of little thing — and this is a big thing — they will definitely use it against Miami."

With a few weeks remaining until signing day, Miami has the No. 27 recruiting class in 247Sports.com's composite ranking of all the other services.

Advertisement
Golden knows he can build a monster here with all of the things at his disposal, e.g. deep talent pool for "skill" positions, excellent academics, good weather, international city, history of success on the field and putting guys in the NFL, etc. That's why I find speculation as to where he wants to go next amusing and foolish. He may eventually want to move on at some point but it's obvious he envisions he can build a powerhouse here. And you can only do that if you have vision and a plan. "A goal without a plan is just a wish."

Advertisement
You don't find football guys with his level of polish. The guys with his polish don't know a lick about football most of the time and a lot of the guys who know football up, right, left, and down, are bumpkins or bumbling fools.

He also actually gives a **** about the kids he's coaching and they love him.

Golden knows he can build a monster here with all of the things at his disposal, e.g. deep talent pool for "skill" positions, excellent academics, good weather, international city, history of success on the field and putting guys in the NFL, etc. That's why I find speculation as to where he wants to go next amusing and foolish. He may eventually want to move on at some point but it's obvious he envisions he can build a powerhouse here. And you can only do that if you have vision and a plan. "A goal without a plan is just a wish."

THIS^^^^ Golden is well aware that he can build a legendary program here.

Advertisement
For whatever reason, Lemming has a man crush on Al. The guy goes out of his way to compliment Al. It's almost weird.

I don't get why people worry about him leaving to go to another school. Miami has as much upside as any school in the country, and I think he realizes that. When is the last time we lost a head coach to another school? Seems to me they almost always leave for a chance at the pros, and I for one, cannot blame them for that as it is the pinnacle of football coaching.

You don't find football guys with his level of polish. The guys with his polish don't know a lick about football most of the time and a lot of the guys who know football up, right, left, and down, are bumpkins or bumbling fools.

He also actually gives a **** about the kids he's coaching and they love him.

I don't think Al Golden is Polish.

Advertisement
The idea of the term recruiting expert and Lemming being synonymous just blows my mind....."..

I don't get why people worry about him leaving to go to another school. Miami has as much upside as any school in the country, and I think he realizes that. When is the last time we lost a head coach to another school? Seems to me they almost always leave for a chance at the pros, and I for one, cannot blame them for that as it is the pinnacle of football coaching.

Ten years of wandering in the wilderness of college football will do that to almost any fan base.

We call it, 'Shancokerized.'

Mike Mayock gave Al some love during the senior bowl game coverage after a Mike James catch. Respect for Golden is insane.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back